Prospective Students

The Division of Global Affairs prides itself on its diverse student body and interdisciplinary approach to the study of global affairs. DGA encourages students with various academic and professional backgrounds--including in the fields of economics, environment, health, philosophy, politics, law, and policy--to apply for graduate study. Please reference our Admissions Frequently Asked Questions Form to learn more about our admissions process. Upon completing your application, we suggest visiting our Incoming Students Frequently Asked Questionsfor insight on the next steps.  

M.S. applicants are required to possess a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. DGA strongly recommends that Ph.D. applicants hold a relevant Master’s degree. Ph.D. applicants holding only a Bachelor’s degree are strongly advised to also apply for admission to the M.S. program.

M.S. Apply Here

Ph.D Apply Here 

Non-Degree Apply Here

Admissions Requirements

Prospective students, both M.S. and Ph.D. applicants, should submit their official college or university  transcripts, GRE scores (optional), three letters of recommendation, a curriculum vitae or resume, a personal bio, a writing sample (minimum 5 pages for M.S. applications and 10-20 pages for Ph.D) and a personal statement explaining why the student has chosen to study Global Affairs at DGA as part of their application.

The Ph.D. applicant’s personal statement should include an area of interest and the name of a DGA core faculty member that the student would want to work with on his/her dissertation. Ph.D. students must also submit a writing sample of 10-20 pages in length.

Supporting materials can be uploaded here.

Full-Time Study and Part-Time Study

The Division of Global Affairs recommends that students pursue their studies full-time. A full-time academic load is defined as nine or more credits per semester.

Ph.D. students must be enrolled full-time, but prospective M.S. students may apply for part-time enrollment. A part-time academic load is defined as eight or fewer credits per semester. Graduate fellows, research interns and graduate and teaching assistants must be registered for full-time study.

Graduating M.S. students applying to the Ph.D. program must complete a new application through the Graduate School-Newark. If accepted, all relevant completed courses from the M.S. program with a grade of B or higher will transfer to the Ph.D. program. Please be advised that you will be considered a new student as it applies to the DGA curriculum and that additional courses may be needed. Please refer to the current website and/or contact the DGA administration for any curriculum changes.

Non-Degree Graduate Student Program

The Division of Global Affairs will accept non-degree students.  All requests must come through Admissions.  Students should include all required documentation necessary for M.S. admission.  Non-degree students must apply to either the M.S. or the Ph.D. program prior to receiving twelve credits.


Please consult Tuition and Fees and for a complete fee schedule for the Graduate School (School 26). For the most up-to-date information, please go online to the The Office of Student Accounting, Billing and Cashiering

Financial Assistance

Please see our Financial Aid page for more information.

Transfer Credits 

Graduate courses completed at other universities or in other departments or schools at Rutgers University may be accepted for credit at the Division of Global Affairs. In order to be eligible to apply for transfer credits, students must first complete twelve credits with a grade of B or higher at DGA and then submit a Transfer Credit Application. Applications are available at DGA and the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School-Newark, Conklin Hall, Room 241. Transfer Credit Applications must be approved by the DGA Deputy Director and the Dean of the Graduate School.

  • Students who complete the M.S. degree at the Division of Global Affairs or other Rutgers programs may apply relevant accrued credits (with grades of B or higher) to assist in fulfilling the requirements of the M.S. or Ph.D. in Global Affairs.
  • M.S. transfer credits: Up to nine credits of graduate-level course work at institutions other than Rutgers University, with grades of B or higher, may be applied.
  • Ph.D. transfer credits: Up to fifteen credits of graduate-level course work at institutions other than Rutgers University, with grades of B or higher, may be applied.
  • Transfer credits may not be obtained for thesis, independent study, or research.
  • Transfer credits may not be applied to required Core Courses or Methodology Courses in either the M.S. or Ph.D. programs.

Information for International Students 

Students who are not U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents or citizens of countries where English is the official language must submit a TOEFL score based on a test taken no more than two years before the time of application submission.

Rutgers University requires that TOEFL scores are 213 and above on the computer-based test, 550 and above on the paper-based test, and 79 and above on the Internet-based test. The Rutgers TOEFL code is 2790.

Satisfactory English-language proficiency is a prerequisite for graduate study at Rutgers University. Admitted international students may be required to take a test of English-language proficiency soon after they arrive at the University and may be required to take course work in English as a Second Language (ESL).

International students appointed as Teaching Assistants are required to take an oral proficiency test regardless of their TOEFL scores.

Non-immigrant international students must present evidence that they have adequate financial resources to meet their educational and living expenses.


Please see Rutgers University Department of Transportation for information on parking permits and the student discounted NJ Transit program, amongst other services offered.


Students interested in on-campus housing should contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life.


Prospective M.S. and non-degree students must apply by August 1st for study in the fall semester and January 1st for study in the spring semester. International students seeking an M.S. or non-degree must apply by June 1st for study in the fall semester and November 1st for study in the spring semester.

Prospective applicants of the Ph.D. program must submit completed applications by February 1st for study in the fall semester and November 1st for study in the spring semester. Likewise, International students seeking a Ph.D. must apply by February 1st for study in the fall semester and November 1st for study in the spring semester.

Application submission well in advance of the deadline is strongly encouraged. Full review of an application may take up to two months. Incomplete applications, i.e. those without three letters of recommendation and transcripts will not be considered.

Candidates who are admitted to the Graduate School-Newark receive notification from the Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions. Incoming students are expected to register for the term for which they were admitted.

 M.S. Apply Here

Ph.D Apply Here

Application, Reactivation and Deferment 

Admission to DGA may be deferred up to one year. Those students who are accepted into the program and wish to defer attendance should contact the DGA Deputy Director. After one year students must reapply to the program. Students who were previously denied from the program may reapply.

For further information and to obtain reactivation guidelines, please consult the University graduate website.

Change of Program 

Students wishing to change their field or degree program must obtain the requisite form from the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School-Newark, Conklin Hall, Rm. 241, submit it to the appropriate Graduate Program Director for approval, and return it to the Office of the Dean for final authorization. The fall-term deadline is July 1, and the spring-term deadline is December 1.

Share this: